Andrew is an experienced orthopaedic surgeon with a specialist interest in minimally invasive surgery of the hip (anterior and posterior approaches) and advanced technology knee surgery, and he has undertaken additional training in this sub-specialised area of surgery.
The anterior hip surgical approach is a more challenging operation to perform in theatre, but offers patients a range of benefits, including a smaller scar, no cutting of muscles, less post-operative pain, faster mobilisation and hospital discharge, and quicker return to work.
Advanced technology knee surgery (computer navigation, patient specific jigs and robotics) may also offer patients enhanced recovery and quicker discharge.
In addition to joint replacement surgery, Andrew also specialises in sports medicine, performing routine knee arthroscopy and ACL reconstructions, as well as arthroscopic reconstructive shoulder surgery.
Education & Qualifications
- FRACS (2005)
- Registrar Training: Victorian Orthopaedic Training Program
- MBBS (Hons) (Melbourne, 1996)
Post-FRACS Orthopaedic Surgery Fellowships
- Canada: Hospital for Sick Children – Paediatric Fellow
- UK: The Great Western Hospital – Hip & Knee Fellow
- VIC: Austin Hospital – Ortho/Trauma Fellow
Professional Affiliations & Positions
- Fellow of the Australian Orthopaedic Association (AOA)
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS)
- Member of the Australian Medical Association (AMA)
- Overseas Affiliate Member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- Honorary Lecturer at University of Melbourne
- Adjunct Lecturer at Monash University
- Squadron Leader – ADF Health Reserves (RAAF)
- Australian Faculty Member & Chairperson – AO Trauma; Basic Principles of Fracture Management Course 2019-2020
Areas of Expertise
- Hip & knee joint replacement
- Computer navigated and robotic knee surgery
- Knee arthroscopy
- Knee ligament reconstruction (ACL, MPFL)
- Hip & knee revision surgery
- Shoulder reconstruction (sports injuries, rotator cuff)
- Trauma / fractures
- Austin Health (public)
- Monash Health (public)
- Epworth Richmond (private)
- Epworth Eastern (private)
Outside of work, Andrew is a keen skier, runner and enjoys playing soccer!